The station is dedicated to providing service, radio training, communication, information and entertainment to our members, supporters and to the people of our community.
Our official name is:
North West Community Radio Association Inc.
- Following a public meeting on 5th November 1987, the North West Community Radio Association was formally inaugurated and later incorporated in November 1988.
- Our first transmission was made from the Broadmeadows TAFE College in November 1988.
- The Department of Transport and Communications made a full time licence available early in 1990. North West FM applied for it and was successful.
- A Transmitter Licence was issued and full time transmission commenced on Friday 4 April 1993.
- The North West FM website was launched in 2000. The website was re-developed and re-launched on 17th November 2005.
- We commenced streaming live on the internet at 10 am on Friday 15 July 2011.
- In November 2017, our transmitter was moved to our studio site, as a temporary measure – the Hume Town Hall was having renovations and therefore our transmitter had to move, and a new antenna installed as well. We thank Hume City Council for assisting with this event. Feedback from a wide area supported our thoughts that the signal was much better from the studio, even though it was still not transmitting at our allowed 400W.
- Our ultimate aim is still to locate to a permanent, but higher site – planning continues for this, and documentation and discussion regularly takes place with the Australian Communication and Media Authority to have this finally approved. It has been a very long and drawn out process, unfortunately it will still take some time to have the final location approved and the antenna set up there.
- We designed and built this new website and launched it on 19 April 2018.
The 98.9 North West FM Committee for 2019 – 2020:
President: Robert (Bob) Rau
Vice President: Emmanuel Brincat
Treasurer: Jean Rau
Secretary: Chris Zerafa
John Dosen (Program Co-Ordinator)
Peter McMurray (In-house Tech)
David O’Brien (Historian)
Website Admin: Frank McHugh