98.9 North West FM is a local community radio station with a full time license based in Hadfield, near Glenroy in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
The station is dedicated to providing service, radio training, communication, information and entertainment to our members, supporters and to the people of our community.
Our official name is:
North West Community Radio Association Inc.
- Following a public meeting on 5th November 1987, the North West Community Radio Association was formally inaugurated and later incorporated in November 1988.
- Our first transmission was made from the Broadmeadows TAFE College in November 1988.
- The Department of Transport and Communications made a full time licence available early in 1990. North West FM applied for it and was successful.
- A Transmitter Licence was issued and full time transmission commenced on Friday 4 April 1993.
- The North West FM website was launched in 2000. The website was re-developed and re-launched on 17th November 2005.
- We commenced streaming live on the internet at 10 am on Friday 15 July 2011.
- In November 2017, our transmitter was moved to our studio site, as a temporary measure – the Hume Town Hall was having renovations and therefore our transmitter had to move, and a new antenna installed as well. We thank Hume City Council for assisting with this event. Feedback from a wide area supported our thoughts that the signal was much better from the studio, even though it was still not transmitting at our allowed 400W.
- Our ultimate aim is still to locate to a permanent, but higher site – planning continues for this, and documentation and discussion regularly takes place with the Australian Communication and Media Authority to have this finally approved. It has been a very long and drawn out process, unfortunately it will still take some time to have the final location approved and the antenna set up there.
- We designed and built this new website and launched it on 19 April 2018.
The 98.9 North West FM Committee for 2020–2021:
President: Robert (Bob) Rau
Vice President: Emmanuel Brincat
Treasurer: Jean Rau
Secretary: Christopher Zerafa
John Dosen (Program Co-Ordinator)
Peter McMurray (In-house Tech)
Website Admin: Christopher Zerafa & Robyn Scott